Friday 5 November 2010

Firework Friday!

Ok, I'm not exaggerating, I absolutely LOVE fireworks, so Guy Fawkes' Night is one of my favourite nights of the year, always has been. I love the sparkly, pretty coloured fireworks, the smell of the crisp, cold night air intermingled with gunpowder and the burnt wood of the bonfire, the crackle and swish of sparklers as you write your name in the sky, toffee apples, the 'Oohs' and 'Ahhs' of the crowd... LOVE IT!

Growing up, getting ready for the fireworks became an exciting little ritual. When I was little, my mum would always want to make sure I wouldn't get cold, so inevitably I'd be bundled up in layer upon layer - thick tights under jeans, three pairs of socks, vest and T-shirt under a woolly jumper, thick coat, mittens, scarf, ear muffs, bobble hat - I'm amazed I could even move! But it just added to the excitement. These days, there's still a bit of layering going on (standing around watching fireworks going off is still a chilly business, after all), but I tend to stay away from the Michelin Woman look and think about clever layering and well made pieces that will still keep me warm, minus the fifty pairs of tights.

Also, tonight, I'm heading out to watch the fireworks with a group of friends, and we're going to dinner afterwards - and this is all straight from work, so I need to be work-smart and dressed for dinner as well as warm. And the office I'm working in today is pretty hot, so this is no easy feat! So, I've decided - skinny jeans tucked into riding boots, which will keep my feet warm and comfy and, being flat, I won't have to worry about my heels skewering any autumn leaves. Wearing this with a smart but slinky stretch satin shirt that does the job for work and dinner, and then, for the fireworks, I'll layer on a thin knit V-neck sweater, adding a preppy look to the shirt and riding boots, and giving me just the right amount of warmth underneath my snuggly, down-filled jacket. Just add studded suede gloves (what? I can be warm and stylish, no?) and I'm good to go! The lovely high, padded collar of my Zara jacket means I have no need for a scarf or earmuffs, so that's less accessories to lug about too.

Hurry up 5.30pm, I want to get my sparklers out! (Stop giggling at the back...)

For work/dinner: Shirt, Hawes and Curtis; jeans, Primark; bag, from Florence; boots, Office


For evening: As above, with sweater, Banana Republic

For the fireworks: As above, with jacket, Zara and gloves, Century 21

The gloves of joy! Grey suede and studded. Fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment