Monday 18 October 2010

Small person style envy

We live round the corner from a play centre and creche, and they have kids' parties virtually every day of the week, which means I constantly see gleeful small people trotting past, victoriously grasping shiny balloons and gussied up in all their partywear finery. Not only is this quite a cute display, but I've found myself remembering how fab it was when I was five and got to wear glitter, sequins, feathers and bows – and sometimes just to the supermarket. Remember back in the day when you refused to wear anything but your favourite wellies, even in high summer? Or when you insisted upon taking your fairy wand to school, or how weekends weren't complete unless you were wearing a Mickey Mouse tracksuit while watching Disney Club?

The main thing that got me flashbacking to the good old days was seeing a curly-haired four year old this weekend wearing the most AMAZING pink sequinned hi-top trainers I've ever seen. I was so jealous, and I started yearning for all my favourite items of yesteryear - my polka dot Swatch watch, my red patent Clark's Magic Step shoes, my Kylie Tshirt, my lurid green foil-panelled party skirt and matching tights with diamante detail at the ankle.

Ah, if only, just for one day, we could forget looking stylish, on trend and coordinated and go out head to toe in whatever brought a great big, stupid grin to our faces. Even if that did involve wearing a red coat by its hood, and running around Tesco like a superhero in our glittery wellies...



Top to bottom: Brandon trainers; Swatch watch; Wings from Fairynanaland.com; Tutu from H&M Kids; Wand from Party Store



No comments:

Post a Comment