Tuesday 12 October 2010

Genre mixing

I'm a bit transseasonal again today, I don't know whether that's due to another sunny day in London or just inspiration from yesterday's post. But as it is, I felt the need to dig out my satin floral skater skirt today. Eagle-eyed It's A Look readers might remember me wearing this with a vest and gladiators back in the summer, and it's equally wearable right now with tights and boots and a warmer top. Today I'm teaming it with my slouchy grey V-neck sweater, because I love love love mixing genres.

When I say mixing genres, I mean I always get the urge to combine more formal/dressy items with casual/slouchy/sporty pieces. By formal/dressy, this could either relate to the style or texture of something (think tailoring, eveningwear or satin, silk, sequins, velvet, lace). So I like wearing a tailored shirt with relaxed harems, jeans and a basic cardi with a sequinned vest peeping out underneath, or a silk dress with a big, chunky woollen cardi over it. Like a pairing of opposites, if you will. 

Call me contrary, call me confused. Just don't call me during Downton Abbey (no one interrupts down time).

Sweater, Gap; skirt, H&M; boots, Dune

2 comments:

  1. I like it!! would my beige slouch trousers go with a shirt and a jumper plus uggs?? Or what would you combine it with? Marj xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds ok to me, although trying to remember your beige trousers. Take a pic and send it! xx

    ReplyDelete