Tuesday 19 April 2011

Layering up (and down)

Today is looking very promising, weather-wise, and the south east could even get up to the heady heights of 25C (lunchtime ice-cream alert!). This, of course, throws a bit of a dilemma into the mix when you've got to dress for work. You don't want to under-dress, show off too much flesh in the office and generally look uncomfortable and inappropriate as you tap away at your keyboard, pulling up your strapless bra and edging down the hemline of your shorts as you check your emails. On the other hand, you don't want to be so covered up that you're melting away by the printer, either. Oh, and Hubby has just helpfully pointed out - while reading over my shoulder - that women need to be careful when summer-dressing for work, as their male colleagues aren't always sure where to look when all the cleavage and thigh exposure comes out to play. He also mentioned some 'statistic' about women wearing on average 30% less clothing when the sun comes out, and that men don't just wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun, if you get where I'm going (the sly pervs)...

So, taking all this into consideration, I'm utilising layers today. I shall be making my way to work in cargo pants, a Breton top with a red vest peeping out underneath, strappy flat sandals and a smart but light black blazer. In the office, I should be nice and cool in my stripy top and lightweight trousers. Then, when I head out by the river for lunch, I can whip off the top and bask in the sunshine in my vest, maybe even going crazy and rolling up the bottom of my trousers. Clever old layering - keeps you warm, keeps you cool, gives you a couple of outfit alternatives during the day. Nice.

Blazer, Principles
Top, River Island
Vest, See by Chloe; cargo pants, H&M Mama; sandals, Clarks

2 comments:

  1. If only I'd read this before I got ready for work. I'm sooooo hot in my leggings and boots! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete