Tuesday 3 August 2010

Running errands

I had some chores to take care of today, so I wanted to wear something comfortable and practical but fairly smart, as I was heading out into town for a few bits and bobs rather than being housebound and therefore getting away with wearing something a bit more loungey. So I took care of the 'fairly smart' side of it with a shirt - a shirt always adds a hint of smart/preppy cool, even in a casual fabric, and it still looks good even if it isn't ironed to within an inch of its life (although that also looks fabulous). But I went for an oversized man's shirt, for more moveability, and wore my collar up ever so slightly, channelling a little Katharine Hepburn in the process.

Following the rules of proportion (fitted top half = looser bottom half; loose top half = more fitted bottom half), I teamed my shirt with leggings, to avoid totally swamping myself from head to foot, and created shape around my waist with a slim, tan belt. I chose my leather-look leggings, just to add a bit of edge, and kept the masculine vibe of the oversized shirt with some brown loafers (also, I needed something a bit sturdier than my usual ballet pumps, as I was going to be pounding the concrete for a while).

So I'm thinking: white shirt, tan leather accessories = mannish-preppy, but with the leather-look leggings and my obligatory Ray-Ban Wayfarers, I gave it a bit of an edge. There's nothing like giving a damn what you look like when your day consists of three loads of washing, posting mail, taking care of admin  and a dentist appointment... Rock n roll...

 Taking inspiration from the stylish Katharine Hepburn. Shirt, husband's; leggings, King's Road; Ray-Ban Wayfarers; belt and loafers, Primark

No comments:

Post a Comment