Thursday 24 June 2010

Shine on

So it looks like the UK is finally having a summer! Long may it last (although, let's face it, it'll probably all be over again by next Monday). In the meantime, I've been putting together a few summer work outfits - not an easy feat. You want to be cool and comfortable, but you still want to look nice. Summer dressing often has its pitfalls: too much flesh on display can either make you look trashy and inappropriate for work, or feel fat, as it's too hot to cover up your bingo wings. Heeled shoes can rub as your feet swell up, but if you go for flats, you get dirty feet with rough heels and the chance of toe-post chafing from your flip flops. Minefield, ladies, utter minefield. And don't even get me started on how wrong men can get it, bless them. Socks and sandals? Sporty trainers with socks pulled too high? Or sporty trainers with no socks - the stench on the train from men's feet in summer, yeesh...

But rather than dwelling on men's summer faux pax, I thought I'd upload a few summer outfits I've been wearing to work that I hope tick a few boxes: cool, seasonal, work-appropriate (if you work in a creative office – I freelance as a magazine journalist when I'm not styling) and figure-flattering. Today's is a floaty tiered sleeveless top with a Stella McCartney-esque denim pencil skirt and Prada-style mink patent courts (which, yes, you have seen on the blog before, Look fans). I feel smart, summery and ready to face the sunshine this lunch break. I'll post a few pics of other outfits I've worn this week, for your perusal.

It wasn't my plan to start uploading regular pics of myself in outfits, but as it has a seasonal theme, I thought it made sense. I don't want to be another one of those look-at-what-I'm-wearing blog bores, so let me know if you want less or more of this!

Top, Jeff Banks for Matalan; skirt, Miss Sixty (bagged from the charity shop - £3.25!); shoes, Portfolio at M&S

No comments:

Post a Comment