Friday 25 June 2010

Going for gold

Interrupting my recent summer workwear broadcast for a snippet on fine gold jewellery, as mentioned in my last post. I've recently become a little obsessed with Cougar Town on Living, starring Courteney Cox. It's one of my guilty pleasures (along with The Rachel Zoe Project and Gok's Fashion Fix. Come to think of it, most of my viewing choices have Guilty Pleasure written all over them. I really ought to add a dash of highbrow to my televisual repertoire...). But I digress. So, Courteney plays Jules, and Jules is always sporting some covetable fine gold necklaces, usually at least two, which she layers up to stop it from looking too pedestrian and safe.


After a little research, I discovered she tends to favour jewellery designer Jennifer Meyer, and my favourite of the chains she wears (the long one with teeny gold discs) actually comes in at an eye-watering $3,500. Not having a spare trust fund to hand, I've been on the lookout online for some more affordable fine gold for summer and have found a few I like (including a not-so-cheap Shelley diamond disc pendant, but I hearted it and just needed to put it on the page as inspiration for beautiful delicate necklaces - can you imagine it on a plain black maxi? Divine.):
From top: Disney Couture at Asos.com, £17; Oasis lariat, £14; Shelley, £1,400; Oasis, £12 

It just feels too warm right now for heavy, statement jewellery. Normally, I'm a big fan of cocktail rings and chunky chain bracelets and big necklaces (not all worn at once you understand). And I think this works well in winter when it's all grey and dull and the colour palette is darker and more jewel-based. Summer dressing calls for delicate gold jewellery. It's lighter, therefore easier to wear, looks lovely against bronzed skin and coral-painted nails and it's nice to change your accessories for the season as well as your wardrobe I think.

And I'm really into the whole layering idea, to give it some edge. A thin white jersey vest and cut-off denim shorts combo suddenly becomes something special with two or three fine gold necklaces layered over it. See what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment