Tuesday 18 May 2010

My day in Manolos

And so it was that, a couple of Sundays ago, I was to attend the remembrance service in London's Hyde Park in honour of fallen troops. With my dad having served in the army for just under 30 years, it's not the first time I've attended one of these events but, this time, Dad had been chosen to carry his regiment's banner during the march. Mum, hubby and myself all assembled to proudly watch Dad in his moment of glory, and obviously we'd all dressed up for the occasion (particularly as HRH the Prince of Wales was there - couldn't let Charlie down, I know he's a steadfast follower of all things fash-wan).

While considering my footwear choices, it struck me that I hadn't worn my silver snakeskin Manolo Blahniks since my wedding day (nearly a year ago). Now, this wouldn't be your obvious choice for such a day, as we would be walking through Hyde Park, standing still for a good hour, then walking on to a spot for some lunch after the service, so warmth and walkability would be key. But if I could spend the biggest day of my life in those Blahniks - and let me tell you I was up till 4am dancing - then surely a few hours in the park would be doable? And if you're going to spend upwards of £350 on a beautifully crafted pair of shoes, a) it's a waste of money not to wear them, and b) surely all that money would mean they would be made so well that wearing them would be a dream, no? (And c, did I mention that I was to be in the presence of royalty? Not that it was about me, obvz).

So, how did they fare? Well, pretty bloody good actually. While my feet weren't the warmest - the predictable British weather giving us a particularly cold day in May - and my right pinkie did in fact go numb temporarily while we went through the hymns, the four-inch heels didn't feel high at all. My feet weren't uncomfortable while standing, and they were extremely easy to walk in. Not once did I teeter on the spindly stilettos. And I have to say, I gathered more than a couple of admiring glances shoe-ward, which always gives a girl a boost.

Mini-mission complete, the Blahniks were a huge success, and I felt all the more confident and stylish because of them during my chat with Charlie over lunch (yes, we even got to meet him. He's lovely). It just goes to show that quality craftsmanship really does pay off, and now I'm not so baffled by all those uber-groomed Manhattanites who manage to trot around the city all day in their very own sky-high strappies. Mr Blahnik, I salute you. Your shoes are not just beautiful, but ultimately very wearable. And Dad, we were very proud. xx

From top: Manolo himself; the iconic Cherry shoe, designed for Ossie Clark; a close-up of my Blahniks; wearing said Blahniks at the remembrance service with my parents. Blazer, Zara; dress, vintage; tights, Wolford; cashmere pashmina, a gift; mink elbow-length gloves, Primark

2 comments:

  1. Tamara Harrington19 May 2010 at 11:34

    Fan... bloody... tastic Lulabelle !!!
    Great article... GREAT shoes!
    ... Great dad xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks hon. He's a star. And so are they! xxx

    ReplyDelete